Inspiration

Thursday, April 30, 2009

My Newest

I hung my show at the cultural center today. Twenty-two mosaics and three fabric trees with fabric insects in them! I haven't taken photos yet; by the time I had finished, it wasn't sunny enough to get good ones. However, I took some photos of my new pieces before wrapping them up to take over there.

The one above is called Magic: a girl holding a magic lamp in one hand and a magic word charm in the other. I used one of a set of red dessert plates I found in a thrift shop a while back for the tesserae.






My daughter doesn't like this one because of the beetle, but that's what I love about it. I used some lovely porcelain saucers with a leaf pattern around the edge. I was trying to get an Egyptian feel.




I stamped the French word rêver (dream) into the clay using tiny rubber stamps I ordered from Japan. The blanket and pillow are stamped with vintage lace. It might have a fairy tale quality to it because of the sleeping girl which may recall Sleeping Beauty, but I was actually thinking of the importance of dreaming, or letting yourself have dreams!



Don't forget to dream!





6 comments:

  1. your work is amazing! good luck for the exhibition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are magnificient pieces!! I'm sure you will truly shine in your exhibition .. I wish you great success :D

    Kerrin X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mosaic work is very beautiful! I especially like the "Dream" with a sleeping girl. Wishing a succesful exhibition to you!

    -minna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the show! Keep us posted on the sales! :-) I really like the deep red in MAGIC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some amazing work. You are truly gifted. Hope your exhibition was a huge success( I am sure it was)

    Rosemary, Garden Gate Designs
    www.gardengatedesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so love the mosaic with the beetle! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete