Inspiration

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Moths



I know butterflies are the most popular insect, beautiful, colorful, delicate, the symbol of metamorphosis and rebirth. Everyone loves them. They get all the attention...but what about moths? Less colorful, (only sometimes!), scary (to some), annoying (clothes moths), creatures of the night fatally attracted to the flame. The French word is papillon de nuit , night butterfly. The English word comes from the old English moththe, pronounce that!




Being neither an etymologist nor an entomologist, I can go no further than to say that I find these insects esthetically attractive, and perhaps they need a little love too! So take a good look at the next moths that come into your house, attracted to the lights. They are pretty too.

3 comments:

  1. I'm one of those people afraid of moths!! Ever since working in an ice cream parlor out on Fire Island - bc at night, BIG moths were attracted to the fluorescent light. UUGH - I was so tortured!! But yours are quite nice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I can't imagine having a lot of moths around me at the same time! I'd be scared too. But mine don't move too much :))

    ReplyDelete