Inspiration

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Egyptian inspired

Visits to museums can be so inspiring. I get so many ideas, see so many possibilities; I feel somehow (no matter how remotely) connected to artists who lived long ago. I feel encouraged to make something really beautiful!

However, more and more, museum visits are photo opportunites and you spend your time trying to stay out of other people's photos, making an effort not to block their view. I guess most people take photos to look at later or show their friends, so they see a lot of the art through the lens.

At the Met I noticed most photos being taken of the huge impressive sculptures and paintings, often with friends and family standing next to them. This was true in my favorite collection: Egyptian art. Everyone loves the huge stone carvings of animal-headed gods, the temples and of course the colorfully painted sarcophagi, and so do I. But I prefer the small objects, in the rooms off to the sides; those are the things that inspire me. So I too was guilty of photo-taking, so that I would be able to see these lovely things again and again.




And when I got back, I wanted to make something really beautiful from my little bag of fabric remnants. Okay, it's a rather big bag. Anyway, these are Egyptian inspired.





3 comments:

  1. Lovely to see how your journies inspire you. Great posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I love visiting museums. But I made the experience that most don't allow to take photos :(

    Your birds are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been inspired by the art of ancient cultures, as well. I so do love your work!

    ReplyDelete